If you’re investing in dermal fillers like Juvéderm, Radiesse or Restylane to plump your skin or Botox and Dysport to relax your lines and furrows, you will want to look your best as soon as possible, which means avoiding the bruising that can be a normal side effect of these treatments. Bruising occurs when injection treatments injure your capillaries, causing them to leak blood into the surrounding areas.
There are common over-the-counter (OTC) medications and supplements that increase chances of bruising. Ten days before your injection treatment appointment, avoid aspirin, Advil, and ibuprofen. These pain relievers can thin the blood. If you have a headache, take paracetamol.
Supplements can also increase bruising. Do not take gingko biloba, ginseng, omega-3, St. John’s Wort and vitamin E before your treatment. Green tea also increases the chance of bruising, so switch to another beverage 10 days before your treatment. And, 24 hours before treatment, do not drink any alcohol at all.
Some supplements help to prevent bruising, such as arnica and bromelain. Take one arnica table the morning of your appointment and every six hours after your injections until you’re free of bruises. Bromelain, which is pineapple-based, also helps; take 500 mg three times a day for three days after you are injected.
Realself.com queried cosmetic doctors about the injection treatment bruising problem. Here are their additional suggestions:
(1) choose a trusted and experienced cosmetic doctor,
(2) in addition to avoiding OTC medications, avoid prescription medications such as Warfarin, Heparin and Persantine (but don’t stop these without permission from the prescribing doctor),
(3) elevate your head when you sleep following your injections,
(4) use ice before, during and following your injections, and finally,
(5) if you have an important event coming up, schedule your injections at least two weeks ahead of time to allow full recovery.
For further information don’t hesitate to contact me at Castleknock Cosmetic Clinic Dublin where I will help you in your anti-bruising decision.
What do you think? Did you find this blog helpful? Why not join me for meaningful and educational social media posts on Instagram I’d love to hear your comments firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet me @dr_h_kahlout. If you found this blog helpful I’d appreciate a positive review on Google Review and our Facebook page.